can mix 2 PS1 game CD in one iso image?

Members research, findings and information that can be useful towards the PlayStation 1.
NOORSUN
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
I am a: Electronic engineer
PlayStation Model: PS1

can mix 2 PS1 game CD in one iso image?

Post by NOORSUN » April 23rd, 2024, 10:58 pm

can mix 2 PS1 CD in one iso image?

hello to all.

any of PS1 game have 2 or more CD such as Parasite EVE 1 & 2.
and I cheek list of file. for test and sample Parasite EVE2
CD1:
DUMMY.DMY, INIT.BS, INTER0.STR, PE_DISK.01
SLUS_010.42
STAGE0.CDF
STAGE0.HED
STAGE1.CDF, STAGE2.CDF, STAGE3.CDF, SYSTEM.CNF

cd2:
DUMMY.DMY, INIT.BS, INTER1.STR, PE_DISK.02
SLUS_010.55
STAGE0.CDF
STAGE0.HED
STAGE3.CDF, STAGE4.CDF, STAGE5.CDF, SYSTEM.CNF

so, you can see some of file in both CD 1 and 2 is equal and repeat. such as STAGE0.CDF, STAGE0.HED, STAGE3.CDF

and I have an idea,
I want extract file on cd 1 and 2 and delete repeated file and burn in iso file large of cd size, it is about 900MB.
how...
may be this work? and if it is OK, How I do this?

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » April 24th, 2024, 6:49 am

Could work. But if you have to ask how, then you probably can't do it, not without knowledge about software development and cdrom mastering.

The best way would be to add data compression, and see if you can squeeze everything on a regular cdrom. With the HED/CDF filesystem(s) in Parasite Eve 2, that's probably about twice as difficult as for most other psx games.

If you were thinking about using 99 minute cdroms, those are only 870MB, so you may run into problems when needing about 900MB, of course depending on whether you define MB as 1000^2 or 1024^2 bytes.

For whether the psx can read and seek data on 99 minute discs, the first step would be to burn a regular psx game or audio disc to 99 minute CDRs. There isn't much that could be done about read errors, but you could possibly overcome seek errors by patching the cdrom functions to use more seek/retries or to do seeks in tiny steps that won't derail too much on the tighter spiral windings.

As an extra challenge with zero benefits, you could make it a multi-session disc (just mentioning it, because that idea might come to mind for 2-in-1 discs). But that's really not recommended (unless you want to explore problems about finding psx emulators and cdrom burning software that can handle multi-session images as intended).

NOORSUN
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
I am a: Electronic engineer
PlayStation Model: PS1

Post by NOORSUN » April 24th, 2024, 6:20 pm

OH...
thank, I liked this tip
so. in first I create an iso of audio track more 700MB up 1000MB. and cheek with epsxe.
then if it work do next step.
but I know PS1 file system (FAT) is different with windows. and I had to learn PS1 FAT.
when I do first, tell result