General homebrew games, programs and PlayStation PS-EXE's
tktagmedia
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
PlayStation Model: SCPH-1001

Searching for an old PSone Homebrew STR Player

Post by tktagmedia » June 25th, 2024, 3:30 am

Hello everyone!

Many years ago I downloaded a "VCD" bundle of software that included MC32 (aka AVI2STR) and PSX homebrew that you'd burn along with your homemade STRs that could be played on real PlayStation hardware.

It was limited to 15FPS files at 320x240, but worked extremely well and would play up to a whole 25 minute file without breaking. The website I got it from said they had a working 30fps version at a higher resolution, but I distinctly remember the download link being dead.

Recently I was wanting to revisit the homebrew but I can't find it anywhere. To help jog some memories I've created a mock-up image of what the GUI looked like and attached it below. From what I remember, it was a plain text, no-frills interface that had a list of your videos inserted and you selected the one you wanted to play. I vividly remember the selection asterisk rotating.

Does this feel familiar to anyone else? If you have it, would you be willing to share it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Administrator
Verified
Admin / PSXDEV
Admin / PSXDEV
I am a: Shadow
PlayStation Model: H2000/5502

Post by Administrator » July 19th, 2024, 5:46 am

I have a copy on my hard drive somewhere. It was called P.I.M.P which (if I were to guess) would be an abbreviation of PlayStation Interactive Movie Player.

Edit: Here you are https://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=4194
Development Console: SCPH-5502 with 8MB RAM, MM3 Modchip, PAL 60 Colour Modification (for NTSC), PSIO Switch Board, DB-9 breakout headers for both RGB and Serial output and an Xplorer with CAETLA 0.34.

PlayStation Development PC: Windows 98 SE, Pentium 3 at 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, DTL-H2000, DTL-H2010, DTL-H201A, DTL-S2020 (with 4GB SCSI-2 HDD), 21" Sony G420, CD-R burner, 3.25" and 5.25" Floppy Diskette Drives, ZIP 100 Diskette Drive and an IBM Model M keyboard.