PSone no vibration

General information to do with the PlayStation 1 Hardware. Including modchips, pinouts, rare or obscure development equipment, etc.
TurbocraftNRF
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?
PlayStation Model: Scph-101
Discord: turbocraftnrf

PSone no vibration

Post by TurbocraftNRF » July 31st, 2024, 4:47 am

Hello, I'm new to the forum. Sorry for my bad English. I have a PSone PM-41(2) with a problem where the controller doesn't vibrate. Everything is working except the vibration. I've already checked the fuses (ps004), inductors (L105, L104), diodes (d101, d103, d104), but I suspect the resistors (r132, r133, r134, r135) that are at very low values ??of 1k. I really don't know if they influence the controller's vibration. Can someone help me solve this problem?

TurbocraftNRF
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by TurbocraftNRF » July 31st, 2024, 6:31 am

I came back here with the values ??of the resistors that are part of the CN102 connector. 
here they are:
r132 = 806 ohms
r133 = 808 ohms
r134 = 912 ohms
r135 = 911 ohms
r137 = 48.7 ohms
r138 = 49 ohms
r150 = 912 ohms

I don't know if the values ??are like this because the components are due to interference on the board or if they are already worn out.

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » July 31st, 2024, 6:56 am

Schematics are here https://psxdev.net/downloads/SCPH-100_5th-Edition.pdf
Most obvious reason would be the fuse for the 7.5V supply.

TurbocraftNRF
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by TurbocraftNRF » July 31st, 2024, 7:08 am

Yes, I tested all the fuses. I also noticed that after pressing the power button the voltage drops from 7.5 to 7.2. And the diagram says that 7.4 would be normal, but it is consuming 0.2. First PlayStation I took in for repair and the console is acting very strange in general.

nocash
Verified
PSX Aficionado
PSX Aficionado

Post by nocash » July 31st, 2024, 7:44 am

7.2V sounds unusually low, I thought the (official) PSone power supply would output fairly constant 7.5V. But the vibration motor would probably spin even if drops below 4V, just spinning a good bit slower. With the fuses, you have specifically checked that the 7-5V pin on the controller port is receiving the 7.5 (or 7.2) volts? That's the only vibration-specific pin.

Other things: Try a different power supply, and different controller, make sure that the controller DOES contain vibration motors (not all do), and make sure that you've activated the analog mode/led on the controller.

TurbocraftNRF
What is PSXDEV?
What is PSXDEV?

Post by TurbocraftNRF » August 3rd, 2024, 1:14 am

nocash wrote: July 31st, 2024, 7:44 am 7.2V sounds unusually low, I thought the (official) PSone power supply would output fairly constant 7.5V. But the vibration motor would probably spin even if drops below 4V, just spinning a good bit slower. With the fuses, you have specifically checked that the 7-5V pin on the controller port is receiving the 7.5 (or 7.2) volts? That's the only vibration-specific pin.

Other things: Try a different power supply, and different controller, make sure that the controller DOES contain vibration motors (not all do), and make sure that you've activated the analog mode/led on the controller.
So, I tested another source, it turned on and continued at 7.2v. However, I accidentally shorted the multimeter probe that came off the pin, and the PS606 fuse opened. The board says that you can replace it with the KAB 3202 102 (which is 1A), but I can't find it anywhere, only the 1.5A one. In this case, which fuse would you recommend? Here in Brazil you can't find the 0.8A and 1A ones, only the 1.5A ones (1608). The 0.8 and 1A ones are larger measurements: 1808
NOTE: I made a temporary jumper just to see if it didn't affect anything too much, and it's working OK.

I also forgot to mention that I tested it with two original borrowed controls and it worked.